Slow Food is an International grassroots organisation which started in Italy with Carlo Petrini in the 1960s, linking the pleasure of food with a commitment to the community and the environment.
Its aim is to defend regional traditions, good food, gastronomic pleasures and a slow pace of life by invigorating people's interest in food, where it comes from and how our food choices affect the world around us.
Slow Food also recognises the value of local traditions and years of accrued knowledge and culture and as such attempts to preserve these through it's Ark of Taste Project.
In short Slow Food promotes true enjoyment of good food and food production systems which provide good, clean and fair food
This can be done through
- Children's education programmes
- The Ark of Taste – saving food production traditions
- Linking food producers to people / chefs
- Supporting local artisan producers
- Valuing the taste of our food
- Using Seasonal food
- Avoiding airmiles in the transportation of foodstuffs
- Keeping Traditions for next generation: cooking methods / ingredients / recipes
Berwick Slow Food are the local branch of Slow Food UK and with an elected committee we -
- Organise an annual Food & Beer Festival during the first weekend of September. With over 80 stalls of local & regional producers, visitors have the opportunity to sample foods / meet producers to find out more about the produce / relax in a family friendly environment
- Give talks at local groups
- Have social events to local restaurants featuring local food
- Organise visits to food producers
- Support & promote local & regional food producers.
Congratulations to Michael Hindhaugh, River Tweed Wild Salmon Fishing Co who has been awarded Slow Food International Ark of Taste status for saving our unique salmon net & coble fishing on the Tweed right in the middle of our Town. Michael encourages anyone who is interested to join his crew to experience this amazing traditional way of fishing.
Further info about this opportunity: email@example.com
For more information on Berwick Slow Food contact us on email: firstname.lastname@example.org